I can’t believe it’s already been three weeks since I’ve arrived in Honduras. It has gone by very quickly. My days are filled with school and studying, though not nearly as stressful as nursing school. It’s almost relaxing, in a way. (Ask me that again in a couple of months and see if I feel the same way!). I really enjoyed making a list of the little things or joys from my week so I’m going to do it again. In knowing I would be doing this again, I found myself on the lookout every day for what I could be thankful for. I would definitely encourage this whole making lists of thankful things, it keeps you looking for God even in the smallest things.
- No sickness this week! Yay! I got to enjoy church with Steve, Alissa and their family. We discussed a little bit about what it means to be “in Christ”. Steve encouraged us to read Ephesians during the week and highlight the many times it says the words, “in Christ”. I have been doing that and wow! It’s been so good. I’m hoping to blog on that soon. 🙂
- Hanging out with new friends – We made many fun memories with lots of laughs this past week: going downtown, getting ice cream, going to a little backyard restaurant for supper, laughing until we cried in a pizza place and making a scene, making fun of my northern accent and how I say the word “bag”. For your information, I apparently say bag the same way I say beg (like any northerner) instead of the sound a sheep makes ;), making salsa and many more.
- Making donuts with the woman I live with, Doña Rude – So thankful for her kindness to me!
- Visiting Karla – I get to visit Karla every Thursday afternoon where she lives to help her with her English homework and in doing so practice my Spanish! Ahh, I’m anxiously awaiting the day when I can better communicate with her. There is so much I want to ask her, to get to know her better, to see what’s going on inside and to share the same with her.
- Language school – It is going very well, overall! Some days I feel like I know absolutely nothing, and other days it clicks, so I am thankful that overall stuff is actually sticking. Yay!
- Coffee – So thankful for coffee! I like to think it helps my brain stay awake for my 3 hours of class each weekday.
- The mountains – They are gorgeous! I drove up in the mountains (above 5000 ft) with some friends to their house yesterday. Wow! God’s creation is absolutely breathtaking! Looking out over the jungle-covered mountains and hills, I was overcome by feelings of insignificance.
“When I view and consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained and established, What is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of [earthborn] man that You care for him?” Psalm 8:3-4 AMP
Isn’t God amazing?
- Jorge the taxi driver – I have Jorge’s number to call him whenever I need a ride to the store, which is great! Jorge speaks English, but this is a mixed blessing. It’s so so nice to have someone who understands what I’m saying without having to decipher my poor Spanish. Yet, it makes it too easy to just speak English to him. I try to speak Spanish until I get stuck, then he helps me. He encourages me to speak as much Spanish as I can as well. I’ll start saying something in English and he will stop me and say no, say it in Spanish. Ha, I feel like a kid again, but it is good.
God is faithful! What’s on your list?